4. 1-4.2 Introduction and aims
Section 4 provides information about side effects from ARVs, and how to avoid and manage them.
Treatment can be an easy, routine part of life so long as any side effects are well managed. Modern ART should not be difficult to take.
Options include treatment for the side effect, changing to alternative HIV drugs, and sometimes dose adjustments.
A few side effects can be extremely serious. It is important to know which drugs can cause which serious side effects.
4.2 Aims for this section
After reading section 4, advocates will have a basic understanding of:
- Overview of risk of side effects.
- Difference between major and minor side effects.
- How to reduce side effects, including switching treatment.
- Main side effects linked to common combinations.
Last updated: 1 January 2016.