6. 1-6.2 Introduction and aims
Section 6 provides an overview of HIV and pregnancy.
This section is important as over half of new HIV diagnoses are in young women and many will want to have children in the future.
6.2 Aims for this section
After reading section 6, advocates will have a basic understanding of:
- Why maternal health is important for a healthy baby.
- Where treatment in pregnancy differs from that for non-pregnant adults.
- Which ARVs are safest to use in pregnancy for the mother’s and baby’s health.
- Some treatment strategies for different situations.
- Resistance, monitoring and other tests.
- Choices for delivery and use of C-section.
- Baby’s diagnosis.
- Feeding the baby.
Last updated: 1 January 2016.