7. 1-7. 2 Introduction and aims
Section 7 provides an overview of drug use and HIV.
This section is important as transmission of HIV through injecting drug use accounts for the majority of new infections in many countries.
There are potential interactions between:
- Recreational drugs and ART.
- Methadone and ART.
7.2 Aims for this section
After reading section 7, advocates will have a basic understanding of:
- Principles of comprehensive and accessible care.
- Beliefs and realities around treatment for drug users with HIV.
- Known and potential interactions between recreational drugs and ART.
- Known and potential interactions with methadone.
Last updated: 1 December 2015.