Question

Is there a difference between Atripla, Odimune, Rizene and Tribuss etc

Hi

I started with Atripla, then received Odimune and now I have been given Tribuss from my provider.

I have never had side effects. How safe is it for me to take Tribuss?

I’m afraid it might change how I look. Is it the same as the two I have already been taking?

Answer

Hi

Tribuss and Odimune are generic versions of the fixed dose combination pill Atripla. These drugs have different names because they are made by different manufacturers.

Each version contains the same doses of three drugs. These are tenofovir, FTC and efavirenz.

There are no safety concerns from switching from one version to another.

Although some HIV meds have been linked to body shape changes, this is not commonly reported for any of these drugs. One exception, generally rare, is that efavirenz has been linked to weight gain in breast tissue – also called gynaecomastia (GYE-na-co-MAS-tee-ah).

See:

Efavirenz-associated gynaecomastia reported to the national HIV and TB healthcare workers hotline in South Africa

Dihydrotestosterone for HAART-associated breast enlargement in men

This answer was updated on 12 July 2020 from an original question on 21 May 2013.

Hi Tshepo,

That’s a great decision. Odimune and Atroiza contain the same HIV meds. They have different names because they are made by different companies. You can see all the different names for this pill here.

2. Tshepo

Hi i first started my treatment for HIV with Atroiza so was changed to Odimune. So now Odimune is out of stock then I bought Atroiza again. Pls advise

Hi Lorraine,

Atroiza and Odimune contain the same meds. They have different names because they are made by diffrent companies. But they work in exactly the same way against HIV.

Volutrip contains different meds, but please check this with your doctor. It should contain tenofovir, lamivudine and dolutegravir. These meds are safe and effective to take and work very well against HIV.

Do you live in Africa? Please see this link for more info about modern HIV treatment for Africa.

4. lorraine

I have been taken atroiza and odimune for quite a while,now this time around I have been switched to volutrip. Is it safe for me???