1. 1 and 1.2 Introduction and aims
Section 1 starts with information about your body and the way your immune system fights infections.
- HIV is a virus, so you need to know how your body reacts to a virus.
- HIV is a virus that attacks the immune system which is the parts of your body that fights viral infections. This means that you need to understand how your immune system is damaged by HIV.
1.2 Aims for this section
After reading section 1, advocates will have a basic understanding of:
- The ways a scientist or doctor understands the immune system.
- CD4 cells and CD4 tests and what they mean.
- How the CD4 count is used to monitor HIV infection.
- Use of CD4 count in treatment decisions and guidelines.
Last updated: 1 January 2016.