1. 3 Definition of AIDS (SIDA)
AIDS stands for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
- Acquired – because it is largely an infection that is introduced in to your body at some time.
- Immune – because it relates to your immune system.
- Deficiency – because it reduces your immune system and makes it deficient.
- Syndrome – because it describes a collection of different infections and illness caused by HIV.
However, AIDS is It is no longer used as a medical diagnosis. It is now mainly an historical term.
In 2023, it is more accurate to refer to either advanced or very advanced HIV. It is also better to refer to someone who is HIV positive as a person living with HIV.
SIDA is the abbreviation for AIDS in French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese.
Last updated: 1 January 2023.