Question

What happens if I stop taking treatment?

What are the side effects if someone stops taking her medication for HIV?

Answer

Thanks for your question.

May I ask why you are thinking of stopping? Many people find adhering hard at some in their lives but there are ways to make it easier. Likewise if you are suffering side effects – you can switch to meds that better suit you.

Several years ago a very large study called SMART reported that stopping treatment increased the risk of  serious complications. These included a higher risk for heart, liver and kidney complications in people who stopped treatment and also a higher rate of some cancers.

If you decide to stop treatment, your viral load is likely to rebound within a week or two. If you stay off treatment your CD4 count will start to drop over the next few months. When this happens the risk of developing other infections and getting sick increases.

In the SMART study, most people who took a treatment break did pretty well for a short time. However, most people were not able to recover their CD4 count to earlier levels even 18 months after they restarted treatment.

Please talk to your doctor about who you feel. It is not generally good to stop treatment. It is definitely not good to do this without first talking to your doctor.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Tee,

You don’t need to take PEP, there’s no risk when someone has an undetectable viral load. Please see here: https://i-base.info/u-equals-u/

2. Tee

Hello i slept with someone who is HIV and on treatment with a viral load of less than 30. The following day after i found out. I took pep. So if she’s undetectable and taken pep for further protection what are the chances of transmission on my case.

Hi Comrade,

Though you may feel OK, your CD4 is low, you need to take ARVs. If you don’t your CD4 will continue to fall, if this happens you’re putting your life at risk. Is there any reason why you’ve chosen not to take ARVs?