Question

Can Truvada be used as PEP?

Hello I’m writing from South America, Chile, first thing I am sorry about my english since it is not my first language. I had a risky encounter (broken condom , I was bottoming) and I started PEP at 34 hours after, but they only gave me Truvada. I don’t know if this 28 days prophylaxis will be effective, any advice will be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Answer

Hi, how are you doing?

Truvada alone is not the most effective medication to be used as PEP.

Truvada only contains two medications instead of three meds used in PEP. Are you able to speak to a doctor? Truvada does contain some of the medication of PEP, adding a third drug (maybe raltegravir or dolutegravir) with Truvada would be better.

However this does depend on availability and other options may be available where you are.

Even if you can’t get an additional drug, there is still benefit to taking Truvada and it will reduce the risk of transmission.

Josh.

1. Josh Peasegood

Hi Tony, yes this can still work as Truvada. Have you had a test yet?

2. Tony

I took full 28 days truvada as pep, does that effect?

3. Josh Peasegood

Hi Tony, your result is conclusive. You are HIV negative. You do not need to continue testing.

4. Tony

Hi doctor, after exposure i took only truvada for pep and after 105 days exposure t got HIV determine 1/2( i don’t know what generation it is) which came negative, is my result conclusive or truvada effects my result? Thanks a lot

5. Josh Peasegood

Hi David, this test is conclusive. You are HIV negative.

Please follow this link for more information about testing and transmission: https://i-base.info/qa/factsheets/hiv-transmission-and-testing

6. David

I’m in the same situation, only truvada as pep, 51 days after finishing pep i got 4th gen test which came negative, is that conclusive? I’m so worried

7. Luis

Thanks Josh , I’m really happy about the results and your answer
    I just took Truvada as PEP , the doctor told me that Truvada works very well as PEP I was lucky because generally in my country they give AZT as PEP for what I read …
    Thanks again from the bottom of my heart

Your email address will not be published.