HIV and coronavirus: i-Base articles and links (COVID-19)
16 April 2020. Related: News.
Simon Collins, HIV i-Base
This page links to i-Base articles and posts about the new coronavirus and COVID-19.
The last weeks have seen unparalleled social, economic, and medical responses to this global health crisis.
Even with the examples of responses in China, Taiwan, South Korea and Italy as likely models the changes have shocked nearly everyone.
The restrictions to regular life will continue for weeks, if not months. Although still based on limited direct evidence, the advice for people living with HIV has slowly gained consensus. Most HIV positive people are at similar risk to general population. Having a very low CD4 count increases this risk and means you should ‘shield’ (see first Q below).
Since 23 March 2020, the UK has been on general shut down. Everyone is being told to stay at home in order to protect NHS services. This will bring specific difficulties for HIV care and sexual health – and for the health workers who provide front-line care.
i-Base articles will be linked below as they become available.
Q&A posts and non-technical links
- Are HIV positive people at higher risk of the new coronavirus and COVID-19?
- Is PrEP affected by coronavirus and COVID-19?
- Do HIV positive people need a face mask to prevent COVID-19?
- What are physical distancing, social distancing and self-isolation (shielding) for HIV and COVID-19?
- Will HIV PrEP using TD/FTC work for COVID-19?
- How can HIV positive people get special support for coronavirus in the UK?
- I am stranded abroad due to coronavirus and running short of meds
- I am in UK due to coronavirus and my HIV meds are running out…
- UPDATED: Why face masks to prevent COVID-19 might now be recommended…
- Why is the NHS texting HIV positive people to stay at home?
HIV, PrEP, COVID-19 & Sex – What you need to know
Easy to read Q&As about HIV, sex and the new coronavirus – from HIV Scotland.
PrEP and coronavirus: what you need to know
Easy to read Q&As about PrEP – from HIV Scotland.
Sex and COVID-19 PDF
This information from NYC (online as a PDF file) includes positive information about how to manage a safer approach to sex during the coronavirus health crisis. It covers the safety of sex with yourself and of virtual sex including if your job currently includes sex work.
HTB articles and medical links
COVID-19 supplement in April HTB has over 30 reports: 17 April 2020
The second issue of HTB with extensive COVID-19 reports.
Download: HIV and COVID-19 issue 2 (PDF)
COVID-2019 special edition of HTB: 27 March 2020
This 20-page HTB supplement compiles links to articles and resources about COVID-19 including information for managing the care of HIV positive people. It includes short reviews of key studies and early guidelines.
Download: HIV and COVID-19 issue 1 (PDF)
Public Health England (PHE) information on distancing
Guidance for everyone in the UK including HIV positive people on ART
PHE information on shielding
Guidance for people who are extremely vulnerable, including HIV positive people with a low CD4 count (less than 50 cells/mm3).
Future medical conferences and meetings
This HTB link will update information about HIV conferences, many of which have already been cancelled or rescheduled.